If you haven’t heard yet – a Global pandemic has erupted across the globe shutting down businesses, travel and now causing acne. Using a mask throughout the pandemic has protected many people from contracting the virus however it has also caused minor skin irritation problems in the form of mask-acne “maskne”.
The unpleasant side-effect of wearing a mask is the side effect of blemishes or pimples (acne). Breakouts often occur when wearing a mask due to the increased moisture-rich environment that allows bacteria and organisms to grow. Pores get clogged and can become pimples or acne from the constant breathing, talking, or sweating that occurs when wearing a mask. Many other skin problems have occurred for those wearing masks such as contact dermatitis, rosacea, and folliculitis however acne is the most common.
The medical term for “Maskne” is acne mechanica. Acne mechanica is a type of acne that occurs due to friction and pressure on the skin. This acne occurs when the skin is rubbed and can occur to those who have not previously suffered from acne. Using chemical-based products to help combat “Maskne” is also advised against as these harsh products can breakdown the already fragile skin barrier, making it more sensitive to the masks rubbing effects.
The best practices to prevent Maskne from occurring are:
- Wash your mask – just like clothes, masks need to be washed. As we move the mask throughout the day to eat, talk or simply remove it – your mask begins collecting bacteria. Wearing makeup, moisturiser and sunscreen also add contamination bacteria to your mask.
- Use gentle, natural skincare products – Simple skincare is easy. Do not use harsh chemical-based products as these causes more harm to the already sensitive area. Using a natura, gentle based cleanser can help reduce the inflammation and redness that the mask has caused.
- Cleanse your face twice a day – Washing your face morning and night is a must to help cleanse and remove dirt built up throughout the day.
Treating acne has always been a hard-enough task but treating it while wearing a mask makes it that much harder. Grahams Natural Acne Pack is a natural acne treatment to help reduce the appearance of acne while reducing inflammation. Our acne pack is a triple action formula and uses only the powerful properties from natural ingredients such as Manuka Honey and Aloe Vera to help calm, soothe and treat acne.
- Use a cotton mask as these are breathable.
- Do not use any scrubs on your face as this is to harsh for your current skin situation.
- Avoid trying new skincare products as you don’t want to upset your skin further.